Click here for Blogger tutorials, premade templates, free blog templates and custom blog designs »

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Change of plans...

I had full intentions of going to school and working on my classroom library this morning but this little guy had other plans... My mom sent me this link yesterday and I have been hooked ever since!! I can't wait to show my kiddos on Monday.


It's a live camera of a bald eagles nest in Decorah, Iowa. Mom laid 3 eggs in late February/early March. The first egg hatched early this morning and the second egg hatch is IMMINENT!


The video above is a 24 hour collage of the first pip up to the hatch and the first sightings of the little guy. So amazing!

Unfortunately the site is down now because of a server crash but hopefully they won't miss the second eaglet's birthday!

What an awesome real life classroom experience!! My brain is buzzing with all the different ways I can use this in my classroom next week. There is a chat room feature with experts from the Raptor Resource Project where you can ask questions and discuss the goings on. (Perfect for Media Literacy week...)

**Caution to teachers of younger kiddos-there are some graphic images that might appear since the video is live (i.e. when the birds bring back their meals) but there are a ton of saved videos that are more appropriate to show the younger crowd.**

Since I didn't get a chance to work on my library-it gives me a chance to pose this question.

How do you organize your classroom library? What rules and procedures do you use to keep it running efficiently?

1 comments:

Sarah said...

What a great way to bring the real world into the classroom!! Sadly, my classroom library is in disarray. I need to reteach a few mini lessons about what goes where :)

Post a Comment